Sunday, January 22, 2012

Visiting the USC Navs!!




This past week I was invited by Steven, the Campus Director of the Navs at USC, to come and do worship for their Nav Nite. Because classes don't start until tomorrow at CSULB and most of our students weren't in the area yet, I was able to take advantage of this opportunity to spend time with my friends investing in another expression of the Navigators here in SoCal.

Because their ministry is a newer ministry (only re-established a year and a half ago) than ours, I went with a "shorter is better" philosophy for this set. Better to keep things simple and not wear out your welcome!

The text for the teaching that week was Philippians 1:1-11, so I chose three songs that centered around the themes of God's creative and regenerative work in our lives and our response of glorifying Him. "Cannons" embodied both of those elements: the creator God who established the world with but a breath and our response to him in the phrase "All glory, honor power is yours, amen." "Glory to God"...well, that one's pretty self-explanatory. Again, the emphasis is on our response to the Creator God giving us breath to breathe and praise his name.

Why did I choose this specific focus? Philippians 1:6 says, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" and verse 11 says that this change leading towards purity and blamelessness is to be "to the glory and praise of God." A pretty beautiful truth, no?

As a closing song, I chose one that I'd never done before: "Beautiful Things" by Gungor. I don't know about you, but sometimes I look at myself and doubt that God could use someone like me for his purposes. That's why I absolutely love the chorus of the song:
You make beautiful things :: You make beautiful things out of the dust :: You make beautiful things :: You make beautiful things out of us
If God could create the entire universe out of nothing and then make humans from the dust...well, maybe, just maybe, he could create something out of the mess that my life resembles sometimes!

Sidenote: While playing the worship set, we had all the lights except the projector (which had a predominantly black background) out: I couldn't really see my chord charts or lyrics! Thankfully 1) these are songs I'm fairly familiar with and 2) they aren't terribly complex either!


Worship Set:


1. "Cannons" by Phil Wickham (G)
2. "Glory To God" by Steve Fee (G)
3. "Beautful Things" by Gungor (C)




Does your view of  God as Creator affect your day-to-day experience? Do you have trouble believing he could do a work in your life even though he created everything in existence?

No comments:

Post a Comment