Monday, June 7, 2010

Gone Camping

For the next six days I will be camping. Well, the first day is driving up to Cavin's house (the greater Sacramento-ish area) and the last day is driving back, but even subtracting those days leaves four solid days of camping!

My family was never big into camping. Perhaps due to the fact that there were just SO MANY of us to drag along, my parents never really took us camping. The extent of my camping experience was pitching the tent in the backyard on the grass-not exactly roughing it. But during my college years I've gained a fine appreciation for leaving the concrete behind and sojourning into Creation.

It's often when I'm surrounded by the raw, rough, and natural beauty God created that my soul sings "How great Thou art"-this time promises to be no different. I'm the designated guitar player on the trip. It's like one of those unwritten rules of camping-if there's going to be s'mores and a campfire, there needs to be a guitar. So I'm bringing mine and looking forward to some sweet times of worship with the stars as our canopy and the sounds of nature as our accompaniment.


"Worship the LORD in holy attire; Tremble before him, all the earth. Say among the nations, 'The LORD reigns; Indeed the world is firmly established, it will not be moved; He will judge the peoples with equity.' Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice; let the sea roar, and all it contains; let the field exult, and all that is in it. Then all the trees of the field will sing for joy before the LORD, for He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in His faithfulness."

-Psalm 96:9-13