Friday, December 31, 2010

Two Roads Diverged in a Wood and I, I didn't take the radii


C.S. Lewis never ceases to astound me.
I'm rereading The Great Divorce and in the first paragraph he stopped me cold in my tracks with his...well I can't really describe it so I'll just share it with you!

In describing morality, Lewis shares a metaphor for what it isn't and also one for what it is. As per usual, he hits it out of the park:

We are not living in a world where all roads are radii of a circle and where all, if followed long enough, will therefore draw gradually nearer and finally meet at the centre: rather in a world where every road, after a few miles, forks into two, and each of those into two again, and at each fork you must make a decision. Even on the biological level life is not like a river but like a tree. It does not move toward unity but away from it and the creatures grow further apart as they increase in perfection. Good, as it ripens, becomes continually more different not only from evil but from other good.

Well spoken, Clive Staples...well spoken indeed.