Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kanchipuram to Chennai to Madurai

January 18, 2010

We visited two more temples in the morning on the 18th. There are fewer pictures from today...that's definitely a result of the "wow...another temple" syndrome. I mean, they were still amazing (and the one on the 19th was just RIDICULOUS), but you can only take so many pictures, and I was already well across the 1,000 picture mark haha


The first was having some reconstruction/restoration work done or something, hence the coverings all around it.


The juxtaposition of the ancient and the modern caught my eye.


I think this statue is this guy on a horse trampling someone...lol


Another of the lake shrines. I love the reflections.


I don't know what this guy is doing: all i know is the carving is AWESOME. I mean, just look at his expression!



Continuing on the theme of Lewis references, this altar reminded me of the Stone Table.


Tim got asked by a huge group of pilgrims (identifiable wherever we went by their dark clothing and forehead markings) to take a photo :)


The fact that these carvings have survived thousands of years is just mind-blowing.



After visiting the two temples we went back to the hotel and had lunch. Unfortunately Grayson was feeling terrible that day: he was throwing up and couldn't keep anything down. The worst part is that he was in no shape to travel and we were going back to Chennai and then flying to Madurai that evening.

After talking to his parents, Tim and Norbert decided to leave him in a hotel for the day that we'd be in Madurai. So before going to the airport we dropped him off at the nicest hotel I've ever seen (seriously-all the 4 star hotels were booked so Grayson ended up staying in a 5 star hotel! haha) and headed to Chennai.

I finished two books on the 18th: one at the airport and one on the plane. the first was Shadow of the Hegemon and the second was Ragamuffin Gospel. I liked both of them (but not as much as Midnight's Children or Ender's Shadow).

We checked into our hotel and got ready for the next day. Tomorrow: the most impressive temple complex of the trip! Reflections on the trip so far! Only three days left in India?!?!